Thursday, July 14, 2011

My coworker/friend raised her voice at me in front of other office staff. What should I do?

I work at a school where I used to take classes. I've working there for 6 years now. My co-worker has been working there for about 4 1/2 years. At the beginning we just had a relationship as coworkers then after a year we became good friends. A lot of things have happened since we started working there. She married, I continued with school, she got divorced; she got a promotion to a full time position. Since she got divorced her attitude with most people has been very rude. Last week about four people were in the office enquiring for a form that has to be filled out by either her, our supervisor or me. It’s a procedure that easily one person can do. There's no need for us to be there all together. She is the kind of person that likes to assist even with the little projects. I'm the kind of person that lets one do the project if I know it can be handled by one person, if not, I assist. Well, that day, she was filling that form and turned her head at me (I was like 20 feet away) and said in front of everyone in the office "can't you help me give this form, can't you see that there is people here" At that moment I said "My God" and she responded "I'm sorry to bother you, I didn't know you didn't work here”. Next day she asked in a very bad way if I was mad at her and I said a little. She responded by saying that she will not be looking for me to talk to her. That got me very angry and told her that I didn't appreciated what she did that day, and that next time she has to tell me something to do it in private, that I didn't like to give a show in front of everybody. Since then we don't talk like before. Our relationship is purely professional now. Should I make peace with her or just keep it professional?

No comments:

Post a Comment